Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Trying to appeal - the essential info condensed by Matthew Scott (Barrister Blogger)

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted

This is a really useful guide (in addition to many others and the experiences of members that may be very helpful)
for people who think appealing against a wrongful conviction is something that they can simply throw themselves at in the sure knowledge that "the truth will out",

The CofA is not interested in your notions of the truth, and for it to come out in an actual successful appeal - the hurdles are laid out here...

franticwithworry

Regular
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Family Member
Someone needs to tell the politicians this. I raised the topic of wrongful convictions with Richard Burgon the Shadow Minister for justice who was a lawyer before election, though not crime. He was quite dismissive with, ‘But they can appeal!’. My own MP fails to respond to anything I raise with her about the justice system, much less pay any attention to the APPG. :-(

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
Someone needs to tell the politicians this. I raised the topic of wrongful convictions with Richard Burgon the Shadow Minister for justice who was a lawyer before election, though not crime. He was quite dismissive with, ‘But they can appeal!’. My own MP fails to respond to anything I raise with her about the justice system, much less pay any attention to the APPG. :-(
I think Burgon will know of Matthew Scott - who has a very strong reputation as one of the best appeal court barristers and a good writer on the subject...
why not follow up by linking him to the blog with some pointed comments as to " they can always appeal" - after all the story is all about a fellow Labour MP colleague of his who has just failed to get the chance to appeal!