Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sex on Trial - Channel 4 doc series on modern day sex crime issues.

jonnyfox

Regular
Verified
Reaction score
Status
No Further Action
How was it? I daren't watch these things myself as the bias puts my blood into boiling mode

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
I haven't caught up with it as I intended yet - due to life events getting in the way

Stained Glass

Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
I've just watched program 1 (c45 mins) - a case from Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA. It involves a charge of rape against 2 black male students by a white female. The program features a Detective who proceeds from doubting the accuser's case to charging the woman with making a false accusation. She alleges she had changed her story to one where she confessed to having had consensual sex in order to put an end to the detective's persistent questioning. When the case came to court (June 2018), the 2 black students are described as victims : the judge decides that the woman is guilty: there's a plea bargain & she serves 6 months in prison, with 'up to 3 years' probation. There are odd aspects to the case. The program seems (to me, anyway) to suggest that, on balance, the Detective has been partial in his investigation & is part of a common (US) police tendency to disbelieve rape victims.
Of possible interest - A Professor Lisa Avalos ('Expert on Sexual Violence') refers to studies (in the USA, I think) that suggest that police disbelieve 50 - 80% of all victims of rape. She states that the actual level of false reporting is 3%.

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
Of possible interest - A Professor Lisa Avalos ('Expert on Sexual Violence') refers to studies (in the USA, I think) that suggest that police disbelieve 50 - 80% of all victims of rape. She states that the actual level of false reporting is 3%.
I caught another episode - where the men were done and it seemed that the guilt was clear...

been debating the various false rape number BS people on Twitter today - older US studies suggest the real level of false accusations has been steadily between 35% and 50% (margin for error allowance)

The latest UK figures, as in -the same government figures that have been trusted year on year as correct right up to about 3 years ago when rape reports to police started to climb almost exponentially - show that 50% false reports would be a most generous allowance for error in one direction - the upper direction could take it as high as 85% -
This is all fairly solid statistically, and obvious to the unbiased observer, because the ONS survey trends have stayed the same -
(CSEW shows percentage of genuine victims reporting to police has risen very slowly to 17%
number of women in UK reporting rape (extrapolated from the 41,000 survey sample) has stayed pretty steady at between 55,000 and 85,000)

the only number that has shot up has been the separate statistic of rapes reported to police...this is a straight count, not a survey or extrapolation.
The "Sexual violence experts" are disgusted that convictions have only risen very slightly in literal numbers - and fallen a little as a percentage of the overall number of annual crime survey, self-reported genuine victims.

So I can confidently dismiss this "Expert on Sexual violence" as yet another cog in the industry machine - the industry that hides the truth for fear of women losing advantages they have fought long and hard for...(as they would see it if being honest)

Last edited: