Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lurgy- all better now.

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
Sorry I haven't been around much this week. Four days of miserableness. But better now.

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
So was this the same as @Patrick 's dreaded lurgy? It sounds as though you've done a stellar job fighting it off so quickly, unless of course this is the so called "eye of the storm" where you recover for a day or two and then it comes back with a vengeance... Keeping my fingers crossed that it's gone for good! šŸ¤ž

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
couldn't be - didn't apparently include the temp of 102 and the five weeks of after lag
Perhaps speaks to it being more of a winter cold then as opposed to a flu, but nasty all the same. I'm still in awe of it's sense of timing... Virus seemed to 'sense' when we were interviewing Sister Francis and subsided, only to return later that evening. Or perhaps there is just something holy about the convent that shielded you like a forcefield

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
Oh definitely. A good example is how people have had surgery without the use of an anaesthetic, electing instead to be hypnotised and put into a state of extreme relaxation so as not to feel any pain. Quite remarkable the amount of control the mind has over the body.

And let's not forget that rare condition broken heart syndrome (takotsubo cardiomyopathy) where an extreme emotional event can trigger a heart attack and potentially death. I'm frankly surprised that I haven't had something like that myself and I think many of us can say the same, false allegations genuinely can kill.

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
Yeah. Well. Apart from all that, I'm back in the old saddle once again. Thanks for your love and thoughts and wishes. Something seems to have worked. Linda was worried, she now tells me, about my immune system (being shattered by the chemo) packing in and giving up the ghost. But I have reassured her that I intend to have more than my fair share of pissing people off for a good number of years yet. People such as those nasties who get paid lots of money and derive loads of satisfaction from telling fibs.

As for you, Matt, any more talk of shuffling off this mortal coil and I shall be on you like a ton of bricks. In other words, you hang in there, old buddy. Keep posting the pain. Remember the time's coming when you're gonna be so bloody needed that your absence would be like a great chasm. But then, who am I to talk? I just supress it all. It's there, but I just pretend it's not. I get so angry... Anyway, I guess what doesn't kill you and all that...

Yes, Patrick, I am intrigued and always will be by that element (and what percentage) of mind over matter and auto-thaumatology there is in prayer, and especially in prayer for healing. At one end of the spectrum, one of my professors, Leslie Francis, has been running research courses, most recently at Warwick University on the relationships and interdependencies between various aspects of psychology and religion. There are hundreds of papers from his unit alone. It's a big area of research.

At the other end, I have a Methodist friend, Deacon Gary, who holds a regular public prayer-for-healing stall on the front at Weston-Super-Mare. They have a regular clientele and a number of passers-by. It's a great little ministry, quite complex in its effects and breadth of communication with religious and non-religious alike. To top it off, he's a really nice bloke. Never tried it myself though. A bit too much of an over-thinker for it to work on me I think - just can't get away from the suspicion that it's unethical - emotionally manipulative. But that's me...

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
So was this the same as @Patrick 's dreaded lurgy? It sounds as though you've done a stellar job fighting it off so quickly, unless of course this is the so called "eye of the storm" where you recover for a day or two and then it comes back with a vengeance... Keeping my fingers crossed that it's gone for good! šŸ¤ž
Not the same as Patrick's. No temperature. Just endless sneezing and unable to think....

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
Oh definitely. A good example is how people have had surgery without the use of an anaesthetic, electing instead to be hypnotised and put into a state of extreme relaxation so as not to feel any pain. Quite remarkable the amount of control the mind has over the body.

And let's not forget that rare condition broken heart syndrome (takotsubo cardiomyopathy) where an extreme emotional event can trigger a heart attack and potentially death. I'm frankly surprised that I haven't had something like that myself and I think many of us can say the same, false allegations genuinely can kill.
Not that rare, unfortunately. Something often made much worse by the fact that men are not supposed to suffer from it!

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
Not that rare, unfortunately. Something often made much worse by the fact that men are not supposed to suffer from it!
I was going to say Roy - your cancer diagnosis can be most obviously attributable to that devil called "stress" - and in this instance a particularly vile and pernicious type of stress that has brought us to know each other.
The body's ability to fight off the pre-cancerous cells that we all get on a regular basis is very much down to how healthy overall we are - and psychological health is massive.

One of these days a film maker is going to make the dramatised version of our stories - and ram home the point that false allegations kill - and the false accusers may be wielders of the weapons, but it is the police that steady the aim and pull the triggers.

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
I firmly believe you are right regarding the cancer diagnosis. My consultant agrees. However, I also believe that a determined spirit can also have a positive effect on all of this. especially when there's a good reason for getting out of bed in the morning.

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
I firmly believe you are right regarding the cancer diagnosis. My consultant agrees. However, I also believe that a determined spirit can also have a positive effect on all of this. especially when there's a good reason for getting out of bed in the morning.
Indeed - me too, I have seen some people go into permanent remission after being given a terminal diagnosis without any medical treatment.

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
That would be the ultimate form of good justice (especially after reading the thread - "Bad Day" - I've just posted)! XX

Last edited: