Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Learning Welsh

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
Dw i'n mynd i drio ddysgu sut i siarad Cymraeg
He says nervously... I know we have some Welsh speakers here, go easy on me I've only done one lesson! Well having lived in Wales for the last eight years, plenty of Welsh speaking friends, a 'string' of Welsh ex's 😂 and my beautiful Welsh daughter - I've finally decided no more excuses, I'm going to learn the language. It's something that I've wanted to do for a long time now but I haven't had the confidence or the motivation to try.

But it's more than that, I finished my first short introductory class last week and left with a big smile on my face, laughing at some of my atrocious pronunciation (yes, I'm working on it!), and generally feeling better about myself. Work has slowed down a lot lately as some old long-term contracts begin to finish and I struggle to find work in the more sensitive areas of cyber-security due to my conviction, so I'm in need of a pick me up right now.

During my last time on remand in prison, I picked up a book from the woefully inadequate prison library about learning memory techniques. It was a nifty set of skills and involved visualisation techniques which were absolutely brilliant for freeing my mind from the suffocation of the cell. Perhaps on my dark days this will be a good focus.

Whilst we're on the subject, has anybody else thought about learning a language?

Dw i'n mynd i drio ddysgu sut i siarad Cymraeg
I'm going to try to learn how to speak Welsh
PS. Hope you can forgive me if I made a welsh booboo! Every day's a school day :p

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
I used to be able to speak French well enough to converse with the neighbours in a holiday let in Normandy... and my Welsh never progressed despite recording more of it than any other language.
My eldest, Lottie, grew up speaking both Welsh & English and went to Welsh language schools in Cardiff - but now, being a lecturer in Glamorgan Uni - she doesn't use her Welsh at all...

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
Now French is a language I never did get the hang of despite taking it at GCSE. Probably because I spent most of my French lessons going out filming which to me was far more interesting. As I think I've said before, I worked on Pobol y Cwm for a bit but likewise never picked up anything more than the odd stock phrase or two, probably didn't help that we all spoke English between takes.

Lottie sounds a lot like Tom in that respect, if you're using it in your everyday life it begins to fade and you become a kind of lapsed Welsh speaker. Do the Welsh unis still offer courses in both languages? They did when I was there, you could elect to have your course materials in either language, although even the north wales lad I knew opted for English materials... Still, I guess even then you don't end up speaking it - it's just a printout.

Still, I read somewhere that bilinguals live longer, so who knows there could be unexpected benefits for us all yet

franticwithworry

Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Family Member
Yes. I’d like to learn Welsh because of a family connection and Scots Gaelic for the same reason. They will be post-trial projects, I hope.

My schoolgirl French did me well enough to get by on a holiday to France some years ago and my husband’s Spanish did for Spain. Being young and in a foreign country certainly helps with language acquisition. I was fluent in Swahili by the time I was 6 but have limited use for it these days. :)

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
Yes. I’d like to learn Welsh because of a family connection and Scots Gaelic for the same reason. They will be post-trial projects, I hope.
Well if you do take it up then give me a shout and perhaps we can do some conversation practice :)