Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Journalists have the same training as the Police! So it seems.

millroly

Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
No Further Action
Doing my usual scoping of the BBC News and other online NEWS portals I came across an article relating to MOT's (interesting for some). Below is an email I addressed to the Paper's editor for a slight inaccuracy. It is no wonder we're having people littering the South West, somewhat clueless as to where they are going.

"Dear Sir,

I have done an extensive search for all the villages and towns in Somerset called 'Truro', failing to find 'Truro in Somerset'. Online article,by Matt Alan

https://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/cars/car-news/mot-misery-britains-failure-hotspots-and-top-causes-of-refusal-revealed_3bd6cd64a15e214a4d5ba7c5c132c72f/

Truro is a quaint and beautiful city that would welcome Mr.Matt Alan. If he wished to acquaint himself with the geography of the UK, he will need to go an extra 118 miles further west from Somerset, through Devon and onto Cornwall

Yours ete etc"

The quality of journalism, we have today, is as questionable as the level of evidence and knowledge which is shown by the Police. They must have all gone to school together!

Last edited:

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
I agree - journalism has become lazier and lazier - just as it has become de-unionised and less well paid...
The Mail "employs" mainly freelancers doing human interest or click bait pieces for £50 a throw.Most have got rid of sub editors - the ones who wrote decent headlines and checked the work of the hacks so they didn't make such obvious boo-boos or hideous grammar and spelling mistakes.
and of course they are still happy to tip a policeman a few pints in exchange for a salacious arrest story... the corruption going both ways.

millroly

Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
No Further Action
If you want to run a family competition, just count the grammar and spelling errors on the BBC News website. My son spotted 34 on one page of less than 300 words.

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
yup - and I keep hearing supposedly academically qualified people (staff and interviewees) saying *this thing* is "very unique" - like that makes any sense at all.

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
yup - and I keep hearing supposedly academically qualified people (staff and interviewees) saying *this thing* is "very unique" - like that makes any sense at all.
Yeah. The life of the pedant is also increasingly worrisome. ;) Have a beer. :beer: