Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Increasing glimmers of awareness

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
A dear friend of mine who knows nothing of the false allegations ordeal I've been going through has been increasingly posting about false allegations. He's just an "ordinary guy" and so it was really heartening to see this from him today:
Yet again false rape allegations that have no happy ending for the innocent party
I've been terrified of opening up to my friends like this who have no idea what I've been through, but seeing that awareness of false allegations is clearly seeping through into ordinary folk, I feel like it's about time I opened up and let those dear friends in to this part of my world.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in awareness of false allegations among their friends and acquaintances?

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
….every day. So the news is all about the newest stabbing (every day). So what about the newest FA killing (every day)?

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
news cycles have a lot of little story arches - knives is a current No.1 - some of these can develop into full blown moral panics - (Twoccing used to be one, remember that Roy ;) ) and then there are the stories that grumble under - never properly going away - occasionally resurfacing and taking a renewed bit of energy -
ours is in that category I reckon - and slowly more and more people are becoming aware that it is a real and not rare thing...
that is our big target - getting the public to realise it is common.

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
news cycles have a lot of little story arches - knives is a current No.1 - some of these can develop into full blown moral panics - (Twoccing used to be one, remember that Roy ;) ) and then there are the stories that grumble under - never properly going away - occasionally resurfacing and taking a renewed bit of energy -
ours is in that category I reckon - and slowly more and more people are becoming aware that it is a real and not rare thing...
that is our big target - getting the public to realise it is common.
Yes. The news goes round and around, endlessly recycling according to some esoteric and unwritten code. I reckon it takes around 5 years for the old stories to re-appear. Yorkshire Ripper is one, Moira Hindley was another...

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
If there ever was such a thing, I'd say that #MeToo was a triple edged sword. For all it's awfulness and hurricane-like destruction, it's definitely encouraged more genuine victims to come forward and that is a great thing. Another good thing is the increased awareness. For all the suffering of the falsely accused victims, those that have been prominently acquitted, allegations ridiculed and dismissed - their pain has not been in vein, as I think the increased awareness I pointed to in the OP demonstrates.

Yes. The news goes round and around, endlessly recycling according to some esoteric and unwritten code. I reckon it takes around 5 years for the old stories to re-appear. Yorkshire Ripper is one, Moira Hindley was another...
That's a really interesting observation though Roy, I'd barely noticed that but thinking back it seems to ring true. A pertinent example would be the MIchael Jackson allegations, I'm not sure exactly how many years it takes for that story to sink and resurface but like you say it's probably operating on a quinquennial cycle.

You can pretty much guarantee that anyone controversial who is arrested and imprisoned will resurface when it's time for their parole hearing, and again if they're actually released on temporary license etc. Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the quality of their local paper has slid perilously downhill in recent years? Particularly since many of them were taken over by the Daily Mirror group and the local offices were shut down...

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
does anyone else think that the quality of their local paper has slid perilously downhill in recent years? Particularly since many of them were taken over by the Daily Mirror group and the local offices were shut down...
they are like little spider based robots now - there is just that confusion of advertising and insisting we watch their videos, and pathetically short stories that could be 2 column inches in a proper paper. and the corporate look really helps shout,
"we are not actually local you know!"

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
they are like little spider based robots now - there is just that confusion of advertising and insisting we watch their videos, and pathetically short stories that could be 2 column inches in a proper paper. and the corporate look really helps shout,
"we are not actually local you know!"
Honestly our local paper is an embarrassment. The print articles are fine, but the online articles are always littered with spelling errors and such poor grammar you have to wonder whether anybody ever bothers to proofread, or perhaps the editor is actually dyslexic. There's also a local 'TV channel' which for a time I considered joining, until I saw the quality of the content they were producing... I've seen ten year old youtubers produce better material...

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
they do not have anyone representing a sub editor anymore -
half the broadsheets don't either.

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
they do not have anyone representing a sub editor anymore -
half the broadsheets don't either.

I mean, I understand that journalists of every rank are under time pressure with looming deadlines and unforgiving editors, but s̲u̲r̲e̲l̲y̲ it m̲u̲s̲t be s̲o̲m̲e̲ kind of g̲i̲v̲e̲a̲w̲a̲y̲ when e̲v̲e̲r̲y̲ other w̲o̲r̲d̲ has a r̲e̲d̲ line u̲n̲d̲e̲r̲n̲e̲a̲t̲h̲ it?