Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

IICSA

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
No-one will be in the least surprised that the email response I have now had from this body simply says they are sorry to hear that I have been a victim of a FA, but that IICSA is only mandated to look at the distress of abused children. The results are that (1) I feel like a really bad person for trespassing on the distress of children - I mean, aren't I an adult? Surely I can deal with it myself. (2) My distress is not a priority. (3) Clearly the motivation of IICSA is to assist in the punishment of perpetrators rather than in alleviating human distress. (4) Will there ever come a time when an inquiry into the actual suffering of PERSONS (child or adult) resulting from sexual abuse becomes paramount, and at least equally as important as the punishing of perpetrators?

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
well - the reality of IICSA is that it was supposed to be about kicking a difficult and painful issue out of politics for as long as possible ( see definition of pubic enquiries) - but it has been a hot potato disaster right from its inception - so worried were the government about upsetting the people they saw as survivors that they kept replacing the chair for potential bias whilst allowing privileged status to the most godawful manipulators.
I think it is very amusing that you would write to them Roy - a bit like writing to Donald Trump and asking him to care about other people.

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
well - the reality of IICSA is that it was supposed to be about kicking a difficult and painful issue out of politics for as long as possible ( see definition of pubic enquiries) - but it has been a hot potato disaster right from its inception - so worried were the government about upsetting the people they saw as survivors that they kept replacing the chair for potential bias whilst allowing privileged status to the most godawful manipulators.
I think it is very amusing that you would write to them Roy - a bit like writing to Donald Trump and asking him to care about other people.
Oh I knew the reply I expected. I now have a very satisfying response in the email. It is of personal historical significance is all. X

millroly

Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
No Further Action
The open-ended ‘Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA)’, led by Professor Alexis Jay is now close to an obscenity in financial cost/return, especially in these times of austerity. I feel it has strayed well away from its ethos, any vague determination and original remit. If the likes of Alexis Jay wish to prove their worth, they should consider accepting realistic (or even no) expenses away from high salaries. As for the legal team, god and they alone know how much they receive in this ‘jobs for the boys’ exercise. Justifiably this should only be the equivalent to the average barrister salary involved in Criminal cases, but I have my doubts if this is the case. I fear the cost of this inquiry, in its final conclusion, could make the highest 'Euro Lotto' win look paltry

The open-ended status of this inquiry could see the IICSA team investigating the ‘Dotheboys Halls’ of centuries ago. Possibly looking towards offering compensation to generations of families. No doubt it would become a practice of digging up of the bodies and using mediums to establish the truth. Naturally, this would could result in using soothsayers to bring the inquiry to its conclusion.

Last edited:

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
I think it says it all that Esther Baker was allowed to participate, and that there is still a strand investigating allegations against Lord Janner. What surely began as a worthy and necessary inquiry has simply descended into absolute absurdity. I have no doubt that they would also be hearing evidence from Carl Beech if he hadn't been unmasked and facing trial for perverting the course of justice.

Dear goodness what a mess.

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
Worth remembering that all government enquiries are, at core, the (generally successful) tools that enable issues that could deeply embarrass a government to be kicked into the long grass.
much like "independent office" of police investigations into their own wrongdoing.

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
Worth remembering that all government enquiries are, at core, the (generally successful) tools that enable issues that could deeply embarrass a government to be kicked into the long grass.
much like "independent office" of police investigations into their own wrongdoing.
Well there are two issues that enable that to happen, the first is when enquiries are conducted by people who have a vested political, financial or other interest in the cause that they're investigating - and are thus susceptible to lobbying or pressure to 'go easy' on certain topics or people, resulting in a shallow investigation.

The second is when a report is entirely independent, but it's conclusions are non binding and the Government chooses to either ignore the recommendations because they are too difficult or controversial to implement, or because they don't align with it's own agenda. We saw this with the Henriques report.

I believe that the APPG inquiry that is currently ongoing into the CCRC may also fall foul of the second trap, particularly if they are bold enough to go so far as to recommend total reform. As much as we can hope, I also can't see them diving too deeply into the way the Court of Appeal operates - that would perhaps be seen by the panel members as going down the rabbit hole - leading onto topics such as compensation for miscarriages of justice and settled cases.

Although as I say, we can hope, I can't see how any proper inquiry into the functioning of the CCRC can be undertaken without also taking a good look at the Court of Appeal, and its increasing hostility towards miscarriages of justice - the panel may have different ideas, we shall see.

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
I'm afraid you're right Patrick. Nevertheless it gives us an opportunity to believe we're doing something and to refine our thinking. Either that, or an opportunity to become even more bitter and cynical. Perhaps both. But whatever the outcome (if any) I, for one, won't be defeated or let it drop. And I know that you, and a few others on here will fight to the last gasp of air to establish and maintain a just society in which we and the rest of us can live lives that honour the title 'Humanity'. Otherwise, what is there...?

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
I'm afraid you're right Patrick. Nevertheless it gives us an opportunity to believe we're doing something and to refine our thinking. Either that, or an opportunity to become even more bitter and cynical. Perhaps both. But whatever the outcome (if any) I, for one, won't be defeated or let it drop. And I know that you, and a few others on here will fight to the last gasp of air to establish and maintain a just society in which we and the rest of us can live lives that honour the title 'Humanity'. Otherwise, what is there...?
|Thanks, Matt. Hope things are OK. X

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
Yes indeed Roy - sometimes these public inquiries are "not successful" - as in they do not kick it into the long grass, - the Hillsborough series demonstrates what can happen when a determined group of people persist in not accepting the palming off and evasion of responsibility by the police and powers that support the police.

It is important for those of us prepared to do the long haul campaigning work to be aware of the intentions and powers of the state - so that we can use their own tools against them as much as possible. This is what James is helping us do in our case against SW police. No frustration will be allowed to kick us off track - we plan to pursue them to the bitter end.

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
Yes indeed Roy - sometimes these public inquiries are "not successful" - as in they do not kick it into the long grass, - the Hillsborough series demonstrates what can happen when a determined group of people persist in not accepting the palming off and evasion of responsibility by the police and powers that support the police.

It is important for those of us prepared to do the long haul campaigning work to be aware of the intentions and powers of the state - so that we can use their own tools against them as much as possible. This is what James is helping us do in our case against SW police. No frustration will be allowed to kick us off track - we plan to pursue them to the bitter end.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Live long and prosper. Your whole team.