Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How many others have had this lurgy?

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
If it is the dreaded flu bug - it won't be days it will be weeks, and drumming will not be an option.

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
Oh no :( I count myself lucky that I've so far avoided it! (touch wood)

I receive the weekly NOIDS (Notifications of Infectious Diseases) reports which has graphs showing how particular viruses are trending by area and how it compares to other years. I don't have the stats for flu to hand, but loads of people I know seem to have been struck down this year - perhaps it's a particularly virulent strain floating around at the moment...

I shall be working overtime with the Dettol and bleach! Oh and not to forget my antiviral hand foam. Luckily for us, flu viruses are more susceptible to antiviral chemicals than some other viruses. Virology and immunology are to me what religion is to you @Roy catchpole, we could have a 'bore off'..

You talk to a group of school children about medieval theology and I'll talk to another group about hapten-carrier conjugation and we'll see which group falls asleep first 😂 You never know though, we might get lucky and get cast in our very own documentaries on BBC4 :p

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
ahh but talk to Katrina about viral attacks and how we fend them off and we get into a whole load of things to talk about - healthy diet and sleeping well being way up there on the good things list...

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
ahh but talk to Katrina about viral attacks and how we fend them off and we get into a whole load of things to talk about - healthy diet and sleeping well being way up there on the good things list...
Funny you say about the importance of sleeping well, I remember giving an e-lecture some years ago about how the natural rhythms of your immune system meant that certain viruses usually began at night or early in the morning.

Always an area I've found fascinating, although as that hobby has waned of late I've let my knowledge slip a little out of date.

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
See my reply in the beer garden. Recovered now and raring to go. Yessssssssss!

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
Getting really excited about 23rd march & "We Believe You."

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
Getting really excited about 23rd march & "We Believe You."
It's been a very long road, but it's finally come together! We're getting into last minute preparations for the 23rd now when of course there will be an opportunity to give some feedback too. I've just got to keep my fingers crossed that I don't come down with anything by then, the last thing I want is to be coughing and sneezing over everyone at the conference, less I wear one of those Japanese style face masks!

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
I'm excited too - but have the potential problem of my Mum fading away at exactly the wrong time, and Katrina continuing to be very unwell.

I need some ready hands to help catch this baby should I have to dash away. At least now we have the "Itch" reading and I have forwarded it to Tom - so that change can happen.
All other changes are minor by comparison.

Here's hoping.

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
I'm excited too - but have the potential problem of my Mum fading away at exactly the wrong time, and Katrina continuing to be very unwell.

I need some ready hands to help catch this baby should I have to dash away. At least now we have the "Itch" reading and I have forwarded it to Tom - so that change can happen.
All other changes are minor by comparison.

Here's hoping.
All of this is a matter of urgent concern in my prayers, too. If it helps. I have released my book to my local community today, informed them also of the upcoming film, and have made an entry in the Daily Prayers Notebook in Sherborne Abbey (one of the scenes of my recent rejection) informing them of the Innovation Conference and the premier of "We Believe You." So, all-in-all for me at least, a pretty big push in one of the major fronts in this somewhat localised and personal battle.
We await reactions/responses/change. But then, it IS a war we're in.

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
I love the idea of writing about and promoting "We Believe You" in Sherborne Abbey, I can imagine my dad giving it as a sermon there - or eulogy to someone lost in the struggle...when I organised his memorial service there (2009) I got annoyed with the priest who took the introduction (wasn't you Roy!) - and, unannounced, he used my blog post on the day my Dad died as the core of his piece -
did he not stop to think what I had planned to say?

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
I'm sorry you had that experience dear bro. I am afraid there is a lot if insincerity and lack of empathy among the clergy. They're busy filling-in faculty forms and pronouncing on other people's behaviour. I know. That's cynical, and I immediately regret feeling that way. Did you not have the opportunity to speak at the service?
By the way - we're really looking forward to tomorrow and Cardiff. Annie tells us it's sold out. Now that can't be bad. It's happening.
Also, Linda had the lurgy yesterday but is feeling loads better today. It distresses me more when she is suffering that when I am. We have Katrina in our thoughts also...

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
Did you not have the opportunity to speak at the service?
Yes I did speak - that was the sore point - I had set up the service so my uncle John ( Dad's elder brother who was also a priest) my two brothers and I all gave eulogies - the priest was supposed to just welcome and introduce the service etc.
I had written a pretty strong memory and appreciation story in my blog including impersonating a couple of his idiosyncratic voice styled pieces. - my blog was not read by many people, normally just for the family and friends...and the priest had found it, and chose to read that out from the pulpit - in the first person, with a bad imitation of my Dad's voice - just before I was due to give my speech with the exact same content - plus more. I went ahead - and gave my better version of my own words anyway.

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
Yes I did speak - that was the sore point - I had set up the service so my uncle John ( Dad's elder brother who was also a priest) my two brothers and I all gave eulogies - the priest was supposed to just welcome and introduce the service etc.
I had written a pretty strong memory and appreciation story in my blog including impersonating a couple of his idiosyncratic voice styled pieces. - my blog was not read by many people, normally just for the family and friends...and the priest had found it, and chose to read that out from the pulpit - in the first person, with a bad imitation of my Dad's voice - just before I was due to give my speech with the exact same content - plus more. I went ahead - and gave my better version of my own words anyway.
God!