Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Falsely Accused Individuals for Reform (FAIR)

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
This may be old news to some of you, but another pressure group has been formed. Falsely Accused Individuals for Reform (FAIR) have been mentioned in the news a few times this month with the conclusion of this one with some serious firepower behind it including Paul Gambaccini, Harvey Proctor and Sir Cliff Richard. They've already bagged some air time in the House of Lords chamber regarding the operation of the ongoing Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (make sure you're watching the Parliament stream on the 25th March), and are now hoping to get an audience with the home secretary to lay out the case.

Although I'm led to believe their primary goal is to achieve much needed legislation to give anonymity to anyone accused of sexual offences before charge, they have a number of aims including:
  • Anonymity before charge in relation to sexual offences.
  • The problems associated with solicitors recruiting complainants (working with the police) to bring class actions.
  • Changing the language in criminal proceedings from “victims” to “complainants.”
  • Support for families of those accused matching to the assistance given to complainants.
With a potentially growing cross-section of the public now becoming aware of false allegations and the devastating effect they have on our lives, the upcoming release of We Believe You, and multiple high profile names joining forces, let's hope that the political climate is shifting firmly in favour of FAIRness!

They can be reached at: https://www.falselyaccusedindividuals.com/

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
You will be able to speak personally to Daniel Janner QC at the FACT Spring Conference, when he is to be our main speaker. He is currently the secretary of FAIR.

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
This may be old news to some of you, but another pressure group has been formed. Falsely Accused Individuals for Reform (FAIR) have been mentioned in the news a few times this month with the conclusion of this one with some serious firepower behind it including Paul Gambaccini, Harvey Proctor and Sir Cliff Richard. They've already bagged some air time in the House of Lords chamber regarding the operation of the ongoing Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (make sure you're watching the Parliament stream on the 25th March), and are now hoping to get an audience with the home secretary to lay out the case.

Although I'm led to believe their primary goal is to achieve much needed legislation to give anonymity to anyone accused of sexual offences before charge, they have a number of aims including:
  • Anonymity before charge in relation to sexual offences.
  • The problems associated with solicitors recruiting complainants (working with the police) to bring class actions.
  • Changing the language in criminal proceedings from “victims” to “complainants.”
  • Support for families of those accused matching to the assistance given to complainants.
With a potentially growing cross-section of the public now becoming aware of false allegations and the devastating effect they have on our lives, the upcoming release of We Believe You, and multiple high profile names joining forces, let's hope that the political climate is shifting firmly in favour of FAIRness!

They can be reached at: https://www.falselyaccusedindividuals.com/
Brilliant post, Matt. See my comment re Daniel Janner QC and the FACT Spring Conference.

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
Brilliant post, Matt. See my comment re Daniel Janner QC and the FACT Spring Conference.
That's excellent news, from what I've heard he is a fount of knowledge and an ardent ally of miscarriage of justice victims. Do you know if there will be a Q&A panel at the FACT conference? Or whether there will be any time to mingle afterwards? (I'm assuming the latter)

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
That's excellent news, from what I've heard he is a fount of knowledge and an ardent ally of miscarriage of justice victims. Do you know if there will be a Q&A panel at the FACT conference? Or whether there will be any time to mingle afterwards? (I'm assuming the latter)
Absolutely. We especially put aside half the programme for inter-personal exchange. This will include Q & A sessions plus meeting together In small groups to discuss matters of concern to whoever turns up. We felt that this was something the Conference could offer to everyone, considering how a large part of experience as falsely accused people tends to alienate us from other members and groups in society. I am expecting it to be a time of renewing old friendships and starting new ones. We are a new tribe, I guess...

Matt

Brewmaster
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Wrongfully Convicted
Absolutely. We especially put aside half the programme for inter-personal exchange. This will include Q & A sessions plus meeting together In small groups to discuss matters of concern to whoever turns up. We felt that this was something the Conference could offer to everyone, considering how a large part of experience as falsely accused people tends to alienate us from other members and groups in society. I am expecting it to be a time of renewing old friendships and starting new ones. We are a new tribe, I guess...
That's absolutely wonderful, what a brilliant idea! As you say half of the benefit of attending conferences like that is to meet people who share our experiences, make new friends and contacts and ultimately be able to speak freely without fear of ridicule or judgement. I think the small groups are a brilliant idea too, we're hoping to implement something similar at the Pub in the coming weeks - a little social contact does wonders when you're feeling isolated and alone.

I like to think that for all of feeling ostracised and excluded that I've also gained access to the most amazing second family too. It's an honour to count you among my dear friends Roy, I look forward to catching up on Saturday and again at the FACT conference :)