Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

False Accusers and Jealous Liars - An International Phenomenon!

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
I've just come across this story, broadcast by Nehanda Radio 21st February this year.

"I was told on three separate occasions that I was to be hanged within the hour. The first time I was on a list of 21 Death Row prisoners to be hanged that afternoon, and the guard told me to start praying, but the executioner got tired before he reached the end of the list. The same thing happened twice more.."
This all began in 1992 when murder in Malawi carried a mandatory death sentence.

He continued:

"Jealous neighbours testified against me, the trial was rigged, and the judge found me guilty of murder... but there was only one executioner, who travelled between several countries in the region. He only came to Malawi every few months, and he would work until he got tired, so I survived. I was eventually reprieved when democracy came to Malawi in 1994. I was 23 years on death row on a false allegation."

Reported this week in the investigative reporter Ian Hislop's Private Eye Magazine.

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
yes - Our justice system was once "the best in the world" - but it only achieved that dubious accolade by comparison with all the many other very bad ones that were, (and many still are), unbelievably bad...