Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Every crime has a victim...

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
Strictly speaking false accusations aren't a crime. :-(
Well observed, 'Frantic'. It's what they call a 'nice' distinction. Wasting police time, yes, perjury, yes (what else can folks think of?) And yet, if the accused fails to mention something that he later relies on to support his case, he can be sanctioned for it (even if he only remembers it after the interview)!

Roy catchpole

Senior Patron
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Other
I've just got off the phone to a very kind and supportive friend who is really interested in what's happening in my life. And I've spent the last half hour trying to explain to her the difference between being found not guilty and the prosecution confessing that it brought a wrongful prosecution.

People just don't understand.

"Well, your court case will be on your DBS, won't it"
she declared, as though the answer would be,
"Well, naturally."
"...because you've been to court, so that will be on your DBS..."
"No, Audrey. It's not on my DBS, because the legal system GOT IT WRONG. It has apologised for prosecuting me wrongfully!"

I can see why this is so hard for her to grasp. It's because most ordinary, middle class, intelligent and informed individuals with a university degree and who run their own little business just cannot handle the idea that THEIR LEGAL SYSTEM IN THE UK IS ACTUALLY CORRUPT. At the moment they can see how the politicians are desperately corrupt and incompetent. That's fine. Everyone can see that. Its on the TV every night. We can't avoid it. We've got used to that.

But it is a very difficult, and almost impossible thing for good, kind, law-abiding citizens to accept that the law is equally twisted, partial, exclusive and fatuous. They pay their taxes and mortgages and send their kids off to school, believing in the safety and security of the system. It is so hard to believe that the legal system is so corrupt that it has decided who is guilty long before the jury get a say, and that, actually, there really are many innocent people in prison.

We are up against a very difficult and complex set of issues, and my case is just one of them.
Other cases - like yours, and yours, and yours, and yours - different from mine, but equally well needing radical reform and needing to be challenged. That is why I will never give up the fight - while I have breath in my body - just like you!

franticwithworry

Regular
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Family Member
No-one really understands if they haven't been personally involved. Even lawyers not involved in criminal law find it difficult to understand the extent to which the criminal justice system is broken. I wish to goodness that criminal lawyers would get more involved and more vocal instead of just accepting the status quo.

Patrick

Barman
Staff member
Verified
Reaction score
Status
Acquitted
False accusations with the intent of getting someone arrested (or more) is a crime
Perverting the course of justice - max sentence 10 years.
Perjury, lying to a court (not just in a police statement that never gets admitted to court) has to be committed in a court room
pretending you were raped when you were not - by a complete unidentified stranger - can only ever be wasting police time, a summary charge with maximum 6 months jails time, and usually a fixed penalty fine and no criminal record.

we don't have the political will in this country to go after false accusers because they basically still see all women as modelled on the Virgin Mary.